We’re hiring! UNENE seeks Operations Director
Director, Operations & Outreach
APRIL 1, 2022 – The University Network of Excellence in Nuclear Engineering (UNENE) is growing, along with Canada’s clean energy sector and we need an innovative collaborator with a good understanding of the landscape to help drive the innovation that will build Canada’s clean, energy economy.
UNENE is Canada’s not-for-profit partnership of nuclear universities working together with major nuclear sector organizations to facilitate capacity building, innovation and collaboration through university research, education, and outreach to our stakeholders in the nuclear community and beyond. UNENE is building the talent of the future through education and programming to support a thriving community of young professionals.
Our new operations director will be an enthusiastic, well-rounded individual who will contribute to our evolution as a collaborating centre and a bridge between universities and the nuclear sector. Reporting to the President, this full-time contract position will be responsible for day-to-day operational and administrative activities of UNENE, with a particular focus on ensuring success in planning, programming and communications.
Reporting to the President, the Director, Operations and Outreach manages and administers the efficient day-to-day operations of the organization, to ensure that all the organization’s planned activities are carried out effectively. In conjunction with the UNENE team, the Director will ensure the following functions:
- In conjunction with the President, develop and oversee execution of operational plans to achieve short and long-term goals and objectives, as defined in the organization’s strategic plan;
- Plan, organize and execute UNENE’s signature programs, including events, conferences, meetings;
- Develop and execute operational programming, and initiatives related to membership recruitment and maintenance;
- With direction from the President, develop the organization’s budget and carry out financial oversight on behalf of the organization;
- Provide the UNENE interface and oversight role with accounting and audit services and oversees UNENE’s document and records infrastructure;
- Ensure secretariat support to the organization Board and advisory committees;
- Direct the delivery of UNENE’s communication program, including quarterly newsletters, UNENE Annual Report, member correspondence and communications, and public and partnership programming; and
- Oversee development and on-going operation of the UNENE website and associated internet-based portals, which provide key channels for public outreach and information, member file sharing, education learning management system and internal record keeping and sharing amongst staff.
Important attributes for the successful candidate include:
- Experience in dealing with academia such as via research contracting, education program planning, and university administration;
- Experience in the nuclear industry and substantial knowledge of nuclear technologies;
- Degree in engineering or science, with post-graduate business or communications degree or;
- Degree in business and communications with strong nuclear sector experience;
- Demonstrated strong management and communications skills;
- Self-starter approach to working, and ability to work from a range of locations (home, organization office, member offices etc); and
- Flexibility in dealing with a diverse array of stakeholders and program participants Employment details.
The position will be secured via a two-year contract with renewal for consideration by UNENE Board of Directors.
UNENE has a home office located at McMaster University in Hamilton. The incumbent will work in a hybrid model, including from the UNENE office, working from home, and visiting UNENE institutions. Detailed work arrangements available upon request.
Please send applications to Jerry Hopwood at email@example.com.