UNENE – Education in Nuclear Engineering
UNENE graduates – Spring 2014
UNENE is an industry-university partnership which supplies highly-qualified graduates, supports nuclear research and creates respected university-based experts. Research and education are the two tools used in this mission. This section covers the upgrading of knowledge of people working in the industry via formal academic education programs in:
The UNENE M.Eng
. is a joint-university program, course-based, consisting of 10 courses, or 8 courses plus a project, to be completed within 5 years. The courses span most of the specific
science and engineering knowledge used in nuclear power, and are listed below. The project is normally co-sponsored by the student's employer and a professor at one of the UNENE universities.
The UNENE Diploma
is offered by McMaster University and the University of Ontario Institute of Technology (UOIT) and is course-based, consisting of 4 courses to be completed within 3 years. It consists of a combination of fundamental and specialized courses. .
Both the M.Eng. and Diploma are accredited by the Ontario Universities Council on Quality Assurance. The courses are graduate level in content and expectations. The courses are offered by McMaster, Waterloo, Western, Queen's and UOIT. Both the M.Eng. and the diploma programs are geared to the working professional. Each course is given on four alternate weekends, and consists of about 40 hours contact time plus 100 hours homework. Students are formally evaluated via assignments, tests and exams and their marks become part of their university academic record. The programs are not like industry training — they are university education at the graduate level, with commensurate effort and accomplishments.
Benefits to Student
- Almost all graduates have told us how much their horizons have been broadened, and that they now better understand the context of the job they are doing.
- Many students view a UNENE M.Eng. or diploma as preparation for their next job with their company i.e., it makes them better candidates for internal postings.
- At least one employer explicitly recognizes the benefit of the UNENE M.Eng. in its job postings.
Benefits to Employers
- The UNENE graduates become natural mentors for more junior employees.
- Their work will be higher quality because they know disciplines outside their own area, and can understand how their work is used.
- The employer has greater flexibility in placing UNENE graduates because of their broader knowledge. In the longer term they become good candidates for promotion.
- The graduates have already demonstrated capability for hard work, self-discipline, learning and self-motivation.