UNENE Joint M.Eng. program in Nuclear Engineering
A course-based Master's degree for the working professional.
For EAC administrative matters see the Education Advisory Committee in the Member's Area
Some of the UNENE graduates, Spring 2014
UNENE is an industry-university partnership which supplies highly-qualified graduates, supports nuclear research and creates respected university-based experts. Research and education are the two tools used in this mission This section covers the upgrading of knowledge of people working in the industry via a formal academic degree – the UNENE Master’s of Engineering.
The UNENE M.Eng. is a joint-university programme, course-based, consisting of 10 courses, or 8 courses plus a project. The courses span most of the specific science and engineering used in nuclear power, and are listed below. Three of the ten courses can be Business Courses from Advanced Design and Manufacturing Institute (ADMI). The project is normally co-sponsored by the student's employer and one of the universities. The M.Eng. is accredited by the Ontario Council of Graduate Studies (OCGS) – i.e. it is a "real" university degree. The courses are graduate level in content and expectations. The courses are offered by McMaster, Waterloo, Western and Queens. UOIT has also just been accredited by OCGS. The whole programme is geared to the working professional. Each course is given on four alternate weekends, and consists of about 40 hours contact time plus 100 hours homework. Students are formally evaluated via assignments, tests and exams and their marks become part of their university academic record. The M.Eng. is not like industry training — it is university education at the graduate level, with commensurate effort and accomplishments.
Benefits to Students
- Almost all graduates have told us how much their horizons have been broadened, and that they now better understand the context of the job they are doing.
- Many students view a UNENE M.Eng. as preparation for their next job with their company i.e., it makes them better candidates for internal postings.
- At least one employer explicitly recognizes the benefit of the UNENE M.Eng. in its job postings.
Benefits to Employers
- The UNENE graduates become natural mentors for more junior employees.
- Their work will be higher quality because they know disciplines outside their own area, and can understand how their work is used.
- The employer has greater flexibility in placing UNENE graduates because of their broader knowledge. In the longer term they become good candidates for promotion.
- The graduates have already demonstrated capability for hard work, self-discipline, learning and self-motivation.
For more information on registering, and the courses that are offered, please see Registration and Courses